Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Litany of Humility

Madonna of HumilityO Jesus meek and humble of Heart, have mercy on me.
From the wish to be esteemed, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the wish to be loved, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the wish to be honored, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the wish to be praised, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the wish to be preferred to others, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the wish to be asked for advice, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the wish to be approved, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be humiliated, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be despised, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be rebuked, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be maligned, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be forgotten, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be ridiculed, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be treated unfairly, deliver me, O Jesus.
From the fear to be suspected, deliver me, O Jesus.
That others be more loved than I, O Jesus, give me the grace of this holy desire.
That others grow in the esteem of the world,, and I decrease, O Jesus, give me the grace of this holy desire.
That others be entrusted with work and I be put aside, O Jesus, give me the grace of this holy desire.
That others be preferred to me in all things, O Jesus, give me the grace of this holy desire.
That others become holier than I, provided that I, too, become as holy as I can, O Jesus, give me the grace of this holy desire.

Imprimatur: + Samuel A. Stritch, D.D.

No comments: